The Central European University, Institute for Advanced Study
Deadline for Application: October 19, 2014
CEU IAS fellowships are highly competitive; each year we receive over 500 applications for the approximately 15 spots available. Fellows are chosen through a rigorous selection process, which includes pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision made by an independent, interdisciplinary Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will primarily consider the quality of the research proposal as well as the applicant’s proven track record and promise of scholarly productivity.
CEU IAS provides a stimulating environment in which the fellows can devote themselves to their research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They also benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in the CEE region and its location in culturally rich Budapest. CEU IAS facilitates the fellows’ engagement with the CEU and the Hungarian scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures and related activities.
Scholars at CEU IAS receive accommodation in the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse and a monthly stipend. Fellows are expected to reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
Eligibility, qualifications, experience:
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets are encouraged to apply.
- Junior fellows must have a Ph.D. degree issued in 2007 or later. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2007 are considered “senior” and must apply for a senior fellowship. Candidates with PhDs more recent than 2007 may opt to be considered for a senior fellowship instead of (but not in addition to) a junior fellowship.
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 6 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2008 or earlier).
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 3 years after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2011 or earlier).
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply for this type of fellowship. We have no thematic restrictions (other than expecting proposals in the social sciences and humanities only).
- Recent (past 5 years) fellows of CEU IAS or Collegium Budapest are eligible to apply but will only be considered in exceptional cases.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and the CEU.
Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,500 Euros and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 1,400 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse (https://www.ceu.hu/guesthouse). Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the Fellows. Fellows are also responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
How to apply?
The deadline for application is October 19, 2014.
You must use our online application system to apply for the Core and Humanities Initiative Fellowships. If you are applying for one of our Core Fellowships (Senior or Junior), you may still submit an application for the Humanities Initiative Fellowship. You may also submit an application for the Thyssen fellowships but that must be done separately- see that specific call for the Thyssen@CEU IAS application process.
Step 1: Register at this website:https://studentinfo.ceu.hu/acad/ias/register.do
Step 2: After registration, you will receive a password which you must use to fill out the application form and upload the required documents in pdf format here:https://studentinfo.ceu.hu/acad/ias/login.do
You may save your work, and log back in and submit it at a later time. All applications must be submitted by midnight October 19, 2014.
You will be required to submit the following the material
- The online application form
- A short description of your research project (max 1,000 words without the references)
- An abstract of a research project (max 150 words)
- A CV including your most important publications (max 2,000 words)
- For junior applicants ONLY: the name and email address of a referee.
For further information regarding your application and for more info on CEU IAS, please visit: http://ias.ceu.hu. Questions and comments may be sent to IAS_applications@ceu.hu. You are also advised to visit the Frequently Asked Questions section at http://ias.ceu.hu/FAQs.